Robbie Simpson

Robbie Simpson, who in June 2014 re-joined Cambridge United, had begun his senior football career with Lilywhites before leaving the club in controversial circumstances in June 2006.

Born at Poole in Dorset on March 15th, 1985, Robbie had come through the junior setup at Norwich City before being released after six years in 2002. Shortly afterwards he was signed by Jez George, who was then the head of youth development at Cambridge City. A centre forward, he made his first team debut for the Lilywhites in October 2002 and during his time at Milton Road had to mix football with educational studies. Despite this he went on to gain good 'A''levels before going on to study Sports Science and Mathematics at Loughborough University.

All in all he was to score 40 league goals in 77 appearances for the Lilywhites before in June 2006 he joined Cambridge United on a controversial free transfer. When the new set of Club director's looked into the matter, they discovered that his and the other two bright Cambridge City stars (Michael Gash and Josh Simpson) had had their original contracts altered only months before which permitted them to leave on free transfers when in normal circumstances the Lilywhites would have been entitled to transfer fee under the Bosman ruling as all three were under the age of 24. Both Michael Gash and Josh Simpson also joined Cambridge United too.

At the end of Robbie's only season at Cambridge United, he had scored 17 goals from 33 league appearances. Despite picking up a number of awards, including the Cambridge Evening News Player of the Year. Robbie decided to turn down the new contract offered and look for a larger club. He then signed for Coventry City and after just 5 minutes of his competitive debut, a League Cup tie with Notts County on August 14th, he scored. At Coventry he struggled to find the back of the net regularly and on June 18th, 2009 he joined Huddersfield Town on a 3 year contract for around £300,000. A large part of the 2009/10 season at Huddersfeld was spent out of action on the injured list and at the beginning of the following season, 2011-12, he was sent out on loan to Oldham Athletic before joining them permantly on January 30th, 2012. However at the end of the following season he was one of a number of players released by Oldham. He was then without a club until signing for Leyton Orient in November, on a contract that lasted only to the end of the season. Despite being on the bench when Leyton Orient played in the Division One Play Off Final, he found himself not re-engaged. So on June 9th, 2014 he signed a two year deal to return to Cambridge United.