The Original Milton Road Ground
The original Milton Road Ground was a large ground that was often refered to as 'the Wembley of Non-League Football'. It had great character, with its wooden main stand, terracing with the Supporter's Club in one corner, greyhound track around it and a training pitch at one end of the ground, were the younger supporters vanished to at half time.
On Saturday, April 29th, 1922 the Lilywhites played their first match at what would be their home for just over ninety years, Milton Road. The ground, which the had banks instead of terracing, had cost £2,769 to build (including the land and fees etc). They having entered the Bury and District League.
In the morning of Christmas Day, 1923, the Lilywhites play a friendly match against the Racing Club de France.
QPR visits Milton Road for friendly match in May 1923 and win 2 nil.
The Town Football Club (Bowls Section) is founded in 1927. They were later renamed the Chesterton Bowls Club in 1931.
A then record crowd of 11,916 see the Lilywhites beat Ipswich Town 2 - 1 on March 29th, 1929. The ground is still very basic with banks instead of terracing and only a small grandstand.
On August 30th, 1931 a new stand is opened and this was to remain until the new ground was built in 1984.
The Lilywhites beat Abbey United (who later became Cambridge United) 9 - 1 in 1933. It was their first visit to Milton Road.
In 1941 the 15-1 victory over RAF Waterbeach sets a record Club win.
Dixie Dean scores 8 as the Lilywhites equal their highest ever win,when theu play the RAF 'B' side in 1942. Dean being the ex Everton and England star.
West Ham United visit Milton Road for a friendly in 1946 and win 5 nil.
In February 1950 when Leytonstone visited Milton Road for a F.A. Amateur Cup tie a crowd of 12,078 saw the match. This was to prove to be the ground record.
The inagugural Cambs Invitation Club is won at Milton Road in 1951, while the same year Sparta Rotterdam play a friendly match on the ground.
The German side, FC Stekrade beat the Lillywhites 4 - 3 on the Easter Monday of 1954.
Floodlights were turned on for the first time in 1959 for the friendly match with West Ham United. The Hammers winning 5-2. While during the summer of 1959 additional terracing was constructed and the north stand was extended.
In November 1960 Derek Weddle scores seven goals as the Liltwhites beat Dartford 8 nil at Milton Road.
A friendly match is played at Milton Road against Dundee United in 1961.
Plans were unveiled in 1967 to introduced Greyhound racing to Milton Road, while the following summer the bowls club move to a new home in Chesterton.
The T.V. programme, It's A Knock Out, is hosted by the Lilywhites at Milton Road.
The last match is old ground, which was one of the largest in non league football, when Dunstable visit at then end of the 1983/84 season. As the result of this all matches the following season had to be played away from home as part of the ground having been sold off for re-development . On the rest of site a new ground, which a much smaller capacity, is built.
The new terracing in 1959.