Cambridge United (Amateur)
Despite being in existence for a very sport period of time, the original Cambridge United Amateur played an important part in the Lilywhites's history even though they never met on the football pitch.
The original Cambridge United Football Club was launched by the Cambs Football Association and April 22nd, 1910. The football association were able to find them a football ground in the Romsey Town area of Cambridge. The ground later became known as the County Ground and today has been built on.
Amongst their players were Sir Jack Hobbs, Captain A.C. Taylor (who later became Mayor of Cambridge) and Billy Phypers, who became a prolific goalscorer for Lilywhites.
In 1914 agreement was reached being the Cambs F.A. and the Lilywhites that the two clubs would unite to become one much stronger club. Seven days after the announcement was made, the Lilywhites were welcomed into the Cambs F.A. for the first time.
Source: Cambridgeshire Football Association Centenary 1884-1984 by F.C. Barrett, M.B.E. Jack Hobbs, England's Greatest Cricketer by Leo McKinstry