Salisbury Hotel

The Salisbury Hotel, today the Salisbury Arms, in Tenison Street was where the Lilywhites were born on Friday, October 4th, 1908 following the fall out between the Cambs F.A. Council and the Committee of the St Mary's Football Club.

At that meeting it was agreed to re-form the St Mary's Football Club as the Cambridge Town Amateur Football Club and cut all ties with Cambs Football Association and instead join the Amateur Football Association. The new club's officers being:                                                                                                                                                                                                           President: W.J. Gould - a local businessman, who had his own hairdressers business in Castle Street                       Hon. Secretary: A L Winfield - who was also the team'd goalkeeper and hailed from North Kensington.                              hon. Treasurer: W. Kidman - a forward who had played for various clubs including Dulwich Hamlet and St Mary's            Captain: j. Richardson - a former trialist with Swindon and Norwich, who came from Cambridge                                       Vice-Captain: R Doig - who had played East Stirlingshire, Reading, Ipswich, Cambridge St Barnabas & St Mary''s.