The Old Plough Lane Ground, one time home of Wimbledon F.C. which was demolished for housing in 2002.
The Lilywhites played Wimbledon, who were founded in 1889 as the Wimbledon Old Central F.C., in the Southern League between 1965 and 1976. We also played them in the Eastern Professional Floodlit League and a few cup competitions.
They had began life playing on Wimbledon Common before moving in 1912 to Plough Lane in Wimbledon. This was to be their home until new ground regulations meant that all Premier League grounds had to all seater grounds affairs, Wimbledon had been elected to the Football League in 1977. So they moved to ground share with Crystal Palace in 1991, as it was not economically possible to convert their Plough Lane ground. In 2003 new owners uprooted the Club and moved them to Milton Keynes. Their they played at the National Hockey Stadium before in 2004 the old club was dissolved making way for the new one, Milton Keynes Dons, to take their place.
Southern League Premier (NL 1)
30.10.1965 Wimbledon 1 - 1 Cambridge City Gregory scored for the Lilywhites.
8.1.1966 Cambridge City 2 - 1 Wimbledon Both goals for the Lilywhites were scored by Eddie Bailham, with one of them being a penalty.
Eastern Professional Floodlit League
19.10.1965 Cambridge City 1 - 3 Wimbledon Gerry Ward scored for the Lilywhites.
15.2.1966 Wimbledon 3 - 3 Cambridge City Goalscorers for the Lilywhites were Carroll, Dennis and Bailham.
A.F.C. Wimbledon was founded in 2002 by a band of loyal Wimbledon supporters who were upset with the decision of the Board of Wimbledon F.C. to move their club to Milton Keynes. They made their home at the Kingsmeadow in Kingston-upon-Thames. a ground that had opened in 1989 and was originally leased to Kingstonian Football Club before the lease was taken over A.F.C. Wimbledon. Kingstonian's now ground share with A.F.C. Wimbledon, while A.F.C. Wimbledon have invested in upgrading the ground which meant that they were able to gain promotion to the Football League.