Merthyr Tydfil

Merthyr Tydfil was involved in one of the Lilywhites most exciting cup ties: the F.A. Trophy tie of 1997.

The original Merthyr Tydfil Football Club was founded in 1909 and having entered the Southern League were one of the teams that made up the New Third Division of the Football League in 1920. That season they finished 8th of the 22 teams. They spent ten seasons in the Football League before being voted out in 1930, at which time they reverted to the Southern League. Four seasons later the Club packed up altogether,

In 1945 a new football club, Merthyr Tydfil F.C., and it was this football club that Cambridge City have played in the F.A. Trophy and the Southern League.

Southern League North

14.9.1976              Merthyr Tydfil 2 - 2 Cambridge City

3.5.1977                Cambridge City v Merthyr Tydfill

Southern League Premier

21.9.1996               Cambridge City 2 - 2 Merthyr Tydfil

7.9.1997                 Cambridge City 0 - 3 Merthyr Tydfil                                                                                          Cambridge City team was Dan Kelly, Andy Jeffery, Richard Chattoe, Steve Gawthorp, Andy Taylor, Mark Adams, Michael Cheetham, Simon Ullathorne, Neil Harris, Andy Pincher and Neil Cogger. Subs used bu City were Roscoe Hipperson, Adam Rutter and Leete. Match serverely effected by the sending of the Lilywhite's Andy Taylor in the 20 minute for an alledged 'professional foul'. 

F.A. Trophy

29.11.1997               Merthyr Tydfil 2 - 2 Cambridge City                                                F.A. Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round Cambridge City team: Dan Kelly, Mark Adams, Richard Chattoe, Jason Carter, Andy Taylor, Andy Pincher, Michael Cheetham, Micky Bennett, Neil Harris, Mark McCammon and Keith Lockhart. Scorers for City were McCammon and Lockhart

3.12.1997                Cambridge City 6 - 3 Merthyr Tydfill (after extra time)                       F.A. Trophy Reply                    Cambridge City team: Kelly, Adams. Chattoe, Carter, Taylor, Pincher, Cheatham, Bennett, Harris, Simon Ullathorne and Lockhart. Subs used were Scott Darton and Neil Cogger. Scorers for City: Harris (3), Ullathorne (2) and Darton. What a game, twice down City had started to dominate after sending on winger Neil Cogger midway through the second half to replace Mark Adams. Having equalised thanks to a second goal for Neil Harris, little did the small crowd of just 200 expect the goal feast from the Lilywhites having gone into extra time with the score at 2 all. Within two minutes of the re-start Neil Harris had completed his hat-trick. Not longer afterwards Scott Darton made it 4-2 following across by Harris and then within seconds Simon Ullathorne finished off a sole run to make it 5-2. Though Merthyr pulled back a goal immediately, the tie was wrapped up within 3 minutes of the start of the 2nd period of extra time. The scorer being again Simon Ullathorne. While the City fans went happy, the ones form Merthyr and their players went away not knowing what had hit them.

In 2010 Merthyr Tydfil Football Club was liquidated and a new club, Merthyr Town, was founded.